Police searching for missing 4-year-old SC girl


An affidavit filed in the case of a missing 4-year-old SC girl shows the child's mother was attacked in her home and apparently tied up before police found her while making a welfare check.

He says 37-year-old Thomas Lawton Evans Jr. did not seek bail during a brief initial appearance Friday in Jackson.

Riverside, Alabama, Police Chief Rick Oliver found the pair in the auto, parked deep into the woods, around 20 miles east of Birmingham, after members of a railroad crew noticed the care and called the police.

According to Riverside Police, they received a call from railroad workers who spotted a vehicle near the tracks in the woods. Jessup said the child's alleged abductor, 37-year-old Thomas Lawton Evans, told an officer to hold the child before running to his vehicle and driving away. The girl's mother was found badly beaten after she failed to pick up two of her other children from school, according to the mayor of Charleston.

Heidi was reported missing on Johns Island shortly before 6 p.m. Tuesday.

The Fire Department and Coast Guard also are reportedly involved.

Officers and first responders were able to find two of her children but were unable to locate Heidi.

The FBI is offering a $10,000 reward for information that leads to the recovery of Todd.

More news: Prime Minister Theresa May expresses 'disappointment' at Northern Ireland talks breakdown

"The attacker pushed her in the home and tackled her to the ground", authorities said.

"We give God the glory and thanks that all of our prayers have been answered and in fact Heidi Todd is safe in the hands of the FBI", Charleston Mayor John Tecklenburg said during a news conference Wednesday night.

Agents say surveillance video showed "a white male trying to use the device".

On Wednesday, police searched local lakes and woods but found no trace of the girl.

The report says that he was not related nor does he have any legal custody of 4-year-old Heidi Renae Todd.

Authorities have not issued an Amber Alert because of a lack of information on a possible suspect and uncertainty over whether the girl was kidnapped or not.

The State Law Enforcement Division has asked law enforcement agencies across the state to look for the girl.