A man's AirPods exploded while he was at the gym YouTube/News Channel 8 A man's AirPods have exploded while he was at the gym.
Jason Colon from Tampa, Florida, said he was listening to music while he was at the gym when he saw white smoke coming out of the earphones.
"It's the craziest thing I ever went through", Colon said.
Colon chose to leave it on a piece of workout equipment and seek help, but when he returned, the earphone apparently was good as gone. When he returned, he noticed the right AirPod "blew up", with some pieces left on the floor. Colon told the TV station that "It was already popped".
Colon said he was relieved he took off the AirPod before the explosion. The incident only left one of the AirPods damaged. I didn't see it happen, but I mean, it was already fried! "You can see the flame damage". "But I mean, I'm sure that since it hangs down, I mean, it could've been ear lobe, you know, my ear lobe could've got burnt". An Apple spokesman told WFLA that it was investigating the incident and would reach out to Colon.More news: Ford Motor (NYSE:F) Lowered to Buy at Vetr
In 2016, South Korean manufacturer Samsung's flagship Galaxy Note 7 was hit by a spate of exploding batteries.
This spells yet another problem for Apple, who has recently dealt with a large amount of backlash due to some questionable decisions they made, with their lack of transparency causing huge public relations issues. Colon was obviously thankful that he had removed the right AirPod before it exploded.
They're not ideal, but for a first generation product, they're pretty good.