Warrant issued for suspect in San Marcos officer's death


The officer was rushed to Central Texas Medical Center, where he died.

While out serving a warrant December 4, San Marcos police officer Kenneth Copeland was killed after a man allegedly shot him multiple times.

Copeland, who was wearing his protective vest, was taken to Central Texas Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

"Ken is a true hero", said Police Chief Chase Stapp in a department press release. Shortly after the officers arrive, the male suspect began firing at the officers, "much like in an ambush type of situation", Stapp said.

The San Marcos Police Department confirmed to KXAN-TV that the officer was serving a warrant when he was shot multiple times.

The suspect, wounded at least once by gunfire, surrendered after a short standoff and was taken to a hospital in nearby Austin, Stapp said.

According to arrest warrants, Copeland went to the house of 51-year-old Stewart Thomas Mettz to serve a domestic violence warrant when he was shot several times. It's also unclear if the suspect who shot Copeland was also the subject of the arrest warrant.

More news: Yankees will reportedly name Aaron Boone their new manager

A statement from the San Marcos police department reports that the as yet unidentified suspect has also been shot.

Officer Copeland is survived by his wife, Sheila, and four sons, Nile, Noah, James, and Jonah. "Ken's a hero", Stapp said.

"Today was his day off". "They are a part of our family as well and they did a great job".

Gov. Greg Abbott issued his condolences to the slain cop's family and promised the shooter will receive "swift justice". "His picture's hanging in different parts of this police department because everybody here loved him".

Law enforcement and Fire agencies from the area will contribute vehicles, drape banners and flags from overpasses along the route in honor of the fallen officer.

A suspect is in custody following a shootout with law enforcement.

The body of San Marcos' first police officer killed in the line of duty was taken to a funeral home in San Marcos Tuesday afternoon.