Two doctors fired after 'dead' baby wakes up on way to funeral

Share

The second child was stillborn; the first was declared dead a short time later.

Taking a strict action against the doctors involved in the alleged negligence where one of the twins who was alive was declared dead by the Max hospital, has terminated the services of the doctors.

A newborn in India was declared dead by a doctor, but hours later his family discovered he was breathing while they were en route to his funeral.

But when they were driving to the cremation ground, the family noticed one of the bags moving and found the little boy still alive.

In its atatement, the hospital said, "While the inquiry by the expert group which includes external experts from IMA is still in process, we have chose to terminate the services of the two treating doctors, Dr AP Mehta and Dr Vishal Gupta in the case relating to the twin extreme pre-term babies". "I was shocked. I couldn't believe my eyes", Malik said.

More news: Yankees will reportedly name Aaron Boone their new manager

Later it emerged that the hospital had quoted Rs 50 lakh as the cost to keep the baby at the nursery. Cops are also probing Ashish's allegation that the hospital had asked them to pay Rs 50 lakh for keeping the baby in its nursery. His grandfather said family members don't know if he will survive.

The hospital previously said in a statement that the boy was "handed over without any sign of life" by the hospital staff.

Max Healthcare said it was "shaken and concerned at this rare incident" and announced on Monday that the two treating doctors would be sacked. "We are in constant touch with the parents and are providing all the support needed", the statement said. Union Health Minister JP Nadda then directed the Delhi government to look into the matter, after which a probe was ordered and a report was sought within three days.

New Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal took to Twitter on Friday to confirm the investigation while the state Health Minister Satyendar Jain described the incident as "shocking criminal negligence".

Share