Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly wrote that her injunction means that the military must continue to follow the policies established by former President Barack ObamaBarack Hussein ObamaObama ethics chief warns Trump: Tweet on CNN could be evidence in AT&T case Trump seen golfing with legend Jack Nicklaus Conan O'Brien jokes: Trump is calling Black Friday the most ungrateful of all Fridays MORE's "June 30, 2016 Directive-type Memorandum", which allowed transgender individuals to enlist beginning on January 1.
A federal judge on Monday ruled that the government must allow transgender people to enlist in the military beginning on January 1, 2018. Four lawsuits challenging the ban were filed.
At the time, the block was only understood to prevent the dismissal of currently-serving transgender troops, on the basis that the six active-duty troops now suing the administration to have the ban declared unconstitutional were likely to win. After the Justice Department reached out to Kollar-Kotelly, the judge clarified that the US military must begin accepting openly transgender troops by January.
Mattis on June 30 delayed the plan, one day before the military was slated to open to transgender recruits per the Obama-era policy.
In her ruling in October, Kollar-Kotelly said the ban of transgender people in the military was "disapproval of transgender people generally".
On July 1, Defense Secretary James Mattis pushed back the date on which trans people could enrol in the military. Yesterday, that court's judge issued a clarification that, since the ban was blocked, the military should begin accepting transgender troops by January 1, 2018.
"Any action by any of the Defendants that changes this status quo is preliminarily enjoined", she concluded, underlining the text for emphasis.
Shannon Minter, legal director for the National Center for Lesbian Rights, said the clarification confirms "transgender people must be permitted to enlist on January 1, 2018, as previously scheduled".
A police officer stands guard as dozens of protesters gather in Times Square near a military recruitment center to show their anger at President Donald Trump's decision to reinstate a ban on transgender individuals from serving in the military on July 26, 2017 in New York City. He said the department would use the time to further study the issue. Last week, U.S. District Judge Marvin J. Garbis in Maryland issued an injunction in another suit, brought by six trans military members represented by the American Civil Liberties Union, its Maryland affiliate, and Covington & Burling LLP. The ban would also potentially lead to the expulsion of current transgender military personnel.
Trump's ban didn't make it three months before meeting rebuke in Kollar-Kotelly's D.C. court ruling.More news: Infiniti QX50 packs world's first variable compression engine