Mother of Texas toddler found dead in storm drain arrested


Sini Mathews, the Indian American adoptive mother of toddler Sherin Mathews who was found dead in a Richardson, Texas, culvert last month, was arrested November 16 on felony child endangerment and abandonment charges. Sini Mathews, the mother of Sherin Mathews, is in Richardson City Jail, charged with abandoning or endangering a child, a state jail felony. Her body was found dumped in a culvert near the family's home on October 22.

The 3-year-old girl went missing after her father made her stand outside in the middle of the night as punishment for not drinking her milk. Later, in the garage, Wesley Mathews said was still trying to get his daughter to drink milk and she wouldn't listen, so he "physically assisted" her.

Regarding Mathews' changed statements, Richardson Police Sgt. Kevin Perlich said, "When they came in, they provided us with some information that was contrary to what we had previously been told regarding her disappearance".

Richardson Police Department  Facebook
Richardson Police Department Facebook

He went outside about 15 minutes later to check on her, but Sherin was gone. A receipt from the restaurant shows that the Mathews ordered one kids meal in addition to their own food, police said, and a waiter at the restaurant confirmed that only one child ate with the Mathews.

Sini Mathews was in court Monday asking to regain custody of her biological daughter who was placed in foster care after Sherin disappeared. The Dallas County medical examiner is still investigating how exactly she died, police said Thursday. The judge also formally set her bail at $250,000.

The toddler was reported missing later that night. "It's not necessarily related to her death, it's related to her care that she was being given while she was in that home". The parents went to a restaurant with their biological child on that fateful evening for dinner, leaving Sherin, a special-needs three-year old, alone at home, which put the little child in "imminent danger of death" according to the police. She also sought a probe into the adoption process of Sherin, who was adopted by the Indian-American couple past year from Bihar. Her husband remains in jail and is being held on a $1 million bond. They returned after the dinner at a restaurant in North Garland about an hour and a half later. It was more than an hour later when he said they returned home to find her "still in the kitchen alive and well". Eventually, he no longer felt a pulse on the child and believed she had died.

More news: Striking Ontario college faculty rejects latest offer, strike will continue